Thursday 23 September 2010

Eat it up!



Sipping fancy cocktails and listening to the enchanting voice of Eliza Little as she sings about JLS at the charming Island Bar is just what the doctor ordered on a rainy Thursday night. Chilling out on a squishy sofa with mates along with fantastic music at a reasonable price is what Eat it up Presents is all about. Ant, Amy and Josh set the group up themselves with the ambition of bringing great bands and artists together in appealing venues around Birmingham. Sometimes it is easy to get drawn into the fun bright lights of the city and spend your nights at the same night clubs with the same playlists every week. But, if you want a change it is difficult to know what else is out there however Eat it Up provides the perfect nugget to fill this gap.
Not sticking to a particular genre, the gig I attended was a quiet acoustic night but the guys tell me they have put on lively rock nights and buzzing indie gigs too with lots more planned for the coming year to look forward to. Ant has his own personal aims within the group and says “I like the thought of sharing music gems I’ve found and really enjoyed with everyone else.” Amy agrees “I’m not into nightclubs, the only place I’ve found in Birmingham to cater to my tastes is the O2 academy, but we want to showcase other acts and provide a great night.” And I can honestly say I had a fabulous night. I went on my own to meet the guys and was welcomed into a friendly atmosphere and saw some great artists. One that stood out in particular was Tom George who hushed the whole room into a silence and performed with no microphone creating an atmosphere that prickled... until the barman dropped a glass...
There’s a lot more on this small team’s agenda for the year ahead and I think you’d be missing out if you didn’t check out their goings on. It sounds like they’re plotting and planning some really good nights. The gig I attended was declared as their most successful yet, and it can only get better from here.
You can join their facebook page and keep tabs on their whereabouts and where they will be holding their next gigs. There are rumours of the Victoria and the Island Bar again, which if you haven’t been there already I highly recommend for yummy concoctions and live music events. Plus cocktails are half price before 8pm on weekdays so what are you waiting for? Get your student butts down there and enjoy!

facebook.com/eatituppromotions

3 comments:

  1. Becky, this is a fantastic article, I can tell you have worked hard on it so I completely feel your pain that it didn't get published. You should make some copies to keep and maybe see if there is any other magazines you could approach and see if they can publish it. I remember how excited you was about doing this article so the fact they didn't even go ahead with it is disgraceful x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article you. I'd see if there were any local magazines you could offer it to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fanks. i know. it wasnt printed because i mentioned "thrusday" and "island bar" which breaks our unis shitty contracts with shitty clubs! I will look into it for sure :) x

    ReplyDelete