Sunday 21 March 2010

Scruffy Buns and Pork Pies


What a beautiful day. It’s a shame I’ve only just had a shower and missed the best part of the sun! It’s been an eventful weekend, but not in a dramatic or bad way. We’ve just done lots and it has felt like longer than two days of relaxing. Friday night we went to the cinema which is something I’ve not done for ages. Mostly because as I scan the listings nothing ever takes my fancy. And just like buses, you wait ages for one and four come at once. There were four films I would have liked to see but we settled on the latest Martin Scorsese film starring Leonardo Dicaprio. It was a winner. From the trailer it looked like your average mental-hospital horror film and I felt like I could guess the plot. I was thrilled though when it turned out to be more of a fast-paced thriller with twists and turns and a bunch of good characters. It is much like Secret Window with Johnny Depp but as it was set in the early fifties, this film swings it for me because the costumes were fabulous and it all felt very glamorous, even the female nurses looked like stars! Good night.
Saturday day time we were in an adventurous mood, and not wanting to face the swarming crowds of Birmingham city centre on a Saturday afternoon we took the bus in the opposite direction and headed north for Walsall. We both had preconceptions of what it would be like because of things we’d heard. But as we arrived in the humid spring drizzle, we were both pleasantly surprised. It reminded me of Banbury with the canals and pedestrianised main roads. It was nice to see a local market in full swing too and Chris got roped into buying a giant pork pie. I knew he secretly wanted it; it was like carrying a small child around in a plastic bag all afternoon. (Which is not advised although you’d think it was according to recent investigations of rocketing numbers child neglect cases in Brum...). We came back from our travels with shampoo and conditioner from Poundland, and a giant pork pie. Quite a successful day, I think you’ll agree!

Saturday night Chris was doing live sound for a "charity" gig. You may notice my use of the word charity. I assumed it would be Sports Relief or helping poor countries get clean water (which doesn’t even interest me a huge amount if I’m being honest) but imagine my confusion when I found out that my £3 ticket was in fact a contribution towards a small, rosy cheeked, scruffy-bunned* girl’s travelling for the summer. Now let me explain because this makes me sound bitter and rather tight. We were at a pub in Selly Oak which is well known as a housing area for BCU but mainly the University of Birmingham students (boo hiss) and judging from the look of most of the students last night, I’m sure mummy and daddy could have paid for her travelling expenses. I just don’t like the idea of these brats not working to save up for their holiday. I know its only three quid but it’s the principal!
So here we are, Sunday morning. Chris had one pint too many which resulted in a rather gross head-down-toilet situation last night and so I think it’s going to be a lazy one today! Enjoy your Sunday! Ciao for now!

*Scruffy bun – also see ‘hoity toity’. A hair style which only posh horsey girls wear. It looks very thrown together at the last minute but has in fact taken A LOT of careful trussing and spritzing to acquire the scruffy look which is so sought after. Scruffy buns are everywhere. Once an Oxford tradition, it seems they have taken over small villages and even some market towns. These girls should be approached with caution. And preferably wearing jodhpurs and with a riding crop....





PS. Please have a look at Vievagen's art blog. The link is on the right hand side. Her artwork is fabulous and well worth a look at. Give her your support! Thank you

x

No comments:

Post a Comment