Monday 1 March 2010

Disco balls and money down the drain.

Saturday night I went back to Banbury, my home town for a friend's birthday. Since having a baby some months ago, she has found out who her real friends are. No one turned up from our old college gang apart from me. It was us two and her friend from across the road, Ange who turned out to be very nice indeed! We decided to take ourselves back to when we were seventeen and used to sneak past the big fat bouncers into the only night-club in the town. We always had a blast. We literally went out to dance. We didn't over do the alcohol (sorry to disappoint) we genuinely loved the music and would be dancing from half eight until three in the morning. Us two had the most fun and I look back with fond memories. Saturday night however didn't turn out like our nights four years ago. In fact it ended at 12:00 midnight. No, Tara didn't turn into a pumpkin, she was exhausted. Who knew it; apparently having babies makes you sleepy! Speaking of babies, that sums up the clientele at the night club. Never have I felt so old. I know people reading this who are older than me probably want to kick me right now but I felt ancient! It was full of kids aged about 15 (which wasn't good as this probably meant I would bump into a few ex-year 11 kids I used to be a teaching assistant for on my gap year) So we scarpered! If I'm honest I'd have preferred to stay in with some drinks and watched a couple of films. I'm not sure when I turned into this granny but I don't like it!

****

Below is a link to an article I'd like you to peek at. If, like me it made your head explode in a flurry of rage LETS START A REVOLUTION! Daymn us students aint what they used to be! I feel as if I cannot believe my eyes. 450% more university lecturers are taking home six figure salaries? They are setting up a gold-plated pension scheme? And this is why our tuition fees are astronomical? I'm frigging seething. I can't be the only one who thinks that I could be getting a better deal out of uni surely? I'm in for SEVEN hours a week. I can't bloody believe it. I know a lot of hours should be self-study time but really? SEVEN? Maybe it's BCU but I don't feel like university is making me into a fabulous scholar fit to quote Shakespeare and Keats at dinner parties. I like it sure, but it isn't worth the three grand a year in my opinion. To add insult to injury, one of my lecturers is leaving in March. Leaving us without lectures and with a nice juicy essay to complete ourselves. How's that for motivation? Oh, but don't worry, she's leaving her email account open so we can ask questions. BECAUSE THAT'S THE SAME AS TEACHING ISN'T IT? I'm not blaming her; why haven’t the university managed to find a replacement? What exactly am I paying for? Am I entitled to a refund???? I thought degrees were important. That’s why I flipping want one; I want to go through life waving my piece of paper around so it makes finding a decent job a tiny bit easier. But damn is it going to sting because it seems like at the moment I am paying for a very, very expensive £9000 certificate. That writing better be gold plated, or do they just save that for the pensions?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254138/Surge-lecturers-100-000-plus-Number-rises-450-student-places-cut.html


2 comments:

  1. Ha!Very good Lelli ! We are lucky to have got into uni when we did, there are hardly any places available at most universities for new students it's ridiculous. And I would like my kids to actually go to university too when they are older, but the way things are going by the time they are old enough to go to uni, all the universities will have closed down or will be charging like 20k a term in tuition fees ......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, its getting a bit weird hey? Maybe they want to save the uni places for the upper classes and get it back to how it was back in the day? Who knows... You better start saving for your kids fees!! Madness. x

    ReplyDelete