Wednesday 24 February 2010

Thug Lovin'


The inevitable happened yesterday. My housemate was mugged walking back from the bus stop. It’s on a main road and only two roads away from our house but it happened. He's not a huge guy and wears glasses and a beanie hat so it could be suggested that he's an easy target. Either way, I'm bloody fuming. Three black guys punched him over the head knocking him to the floor and proceeded to punch and kick him whilst trying to get into his pockets. My housemate explained he didn't know how he got the strength to stand up and he sprinted away leaving them behind. He got away without them taking anything but has bruises and cuts on his face, hands and knee. I hear about people being attacked rather a lot but I assumed (naively) that if some one wants to mug you, they'll ask politely for you to hand over your wallet and then if you refuse, then kick the shit out of you. But this seemed like an unfair attack using violence and three big guys who so obviously unfairly outnumbered their prey.
I’m disappointed. I'm always sticking up for this area when people say what a shit-hole it is and defend the fact that our house of students live as the minority among other cultures. I love that we can buy unusual vegetables and spices at our corner shop. But when something like this happens I feel let down, like everyone is right. Maybe I do live in a shit-hole, but 90% of the time I like it but the longer I live here the more I yearn to be back in my comfort zone where I feel safe. We don't belong here and the locals know it. They see us as rich students invading their territory when we are anything but rich and just want to integrate. It's given me a greater understanding of why racism and segregation still exists in our country but I am no more racist or scared than when I moved here a year and a half ago. I just understand people that I wouldn’t have come into contact with in my lifetime. It's like everyone is always on the defence 24/7 and you can cut tension with a rusted spoon. I have Asian friends, Black friends, Chinese and Welsh. These experiences don't change my opinions of the wider groups of people at all; it just tilts my perspective on the area. It may be affected by other things such as it being a poor, neglected area as well which must be considered. Whatever it is I'm sick of it, I don't understand why Birmingham is split into separate areas of ethnicity. They all live miles apart. But surely this aids the segregation and misunderstandings of each other’s culture? I think what would solve this is a mass Wife Swap so people know that there is nothing to fear, and that every family just wants to get on and live their lives. I believe this would be easier and more harmonious if people mixed it up a little.

6 comments:

  1. Very true! I agree I think families should mix and learn from other cultures. Birmingham is a dive. My husband got mugged in that subway under onestop when he was only 13, and ironically it was the same subway I got wanked at and chased by a fruitcake.

    I really hope your friend is ok. Is there any chance in year three you could all move to a nicer area, one thats obviously easy to get to uni by bus/ train etc?

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh god, that tossing off story is so gross Vicky, you poor thing. and Ste! It's an unlucky subway... BLURGH.
    Me and my boyfriend are looking at flats in city centre, theyre only 50 quid more expensive a month each than the house we've got now so fingers crossed! If not, maybe we'll have a look more north, Great Barr way for something I'm not sure, Ill have to have a chat with you about the better areas to move to! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor guy! Hopefully your mate is alright.
    I also noticed that Birmingham is segregated. I'm African(Somali)and the older generation tend to not integrate because it gives them a sense of belonging if they all live in one place.

    Plus I think not speaking English makes them feel alienated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand that Asma. It's a shame and I know what a huge deal it was for the older generations to move over here. I have total respect for them. It's just a shame that our generation arn't more accepting and I mean English people too. Blurgh some white people I've met here are so racist it makes me sick. Oh if only we could solve the world's problems in a day guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with all the comments. It is a great shame that such ignorance does exist in this day and age on both sides. For a country that claims to be so advanced there are so many ways in which we need to move on and improve. I am disappointed that I have given this area the benefit of the doubt despite people's claims and I have been let down by this. Maybe different cultures do not come into it, but I cannot help but think that it still plays a very significant part in today's society. Shame on you Great Britain!

    ReplyDelete