Friday 19 February 2010

weird things...


So, the journey on my way down to Brighton on the train was something I was dreading on Wednesday because I always have altercations with idiots and weirdos. The weird thing I'm going to tell you is a tale of the unexpected. I always prepare to be shoved at least ten times during my three hour journey, especially on the tube. I also expect to breathe in someone else's bodily gases at least twice during my trip. And most of all I know I will be treated as invisible at every opportunity.
This is the weird part... none of the above happened to me this time. In fact the very opposite. My fellow passengers smelt sweet, there was not one elbow dug into my ribs as I struggled to pull my ridiculously large red suitcase aboard the train. I would have been happy enough at just escaping these usual toils of Virgin Trains but what shocked me the most and caused me to stutter when asked is when some very nice strong people offered and helped me with my case and lifted it into the case shelves for me! I for one was astounded. I have never experienced this kindness, especially in LONDON of all places. Where no one dares to make eye contact or acknowledge any other human being in their path. I quickly grew confident and was chit chatting to people left, right and centre. This day of human kindness and general friendliness has reinstated my belief that people are not all arseholes and that even Londeners have hearts. May whatever is in the water continue to flow through the veins of our public!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, your tutor is tutoring you well. I came to your last sentence at the end of reading your blog, appropriately enough. Whatever is in the water in London has already been drunk, according to some quite unreliable statisticians, by seven people before it reaches you. Don't you love life in the city? All best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you very much. he's taught me a lot already, and not just about ranting (although I'd forgive you for thinking so, just ask Ian about the new Flat White at Costa coffee...)

    Thank you so much for reading! And thank you for reminding me of those statistics, Birmingham water does have a suspicious after taste, but once you've boiled it its fine!

    ReplyDelete